Thursday, September 6, 2012

Company Background

A little background about our company... I am a homeschooling mom of eight wonderful children!  My husband is a teacher and a part time pastor.  I have a teaching degree that focused around art.  I love to be creative!  Old House Mercantile began with a few crafts and some goat milk soap. After much prayer and consideration I was struck with the idea of making signs.  Since I loved, but couldn't afford any of the signs I found to purchase anywhere else I decided to make my own!  After making a few I was hooked!  I am so happy to be able make affordable signs for other people and also help our family financially!

Old House Mercantile is a bit of a family affair.  The goat milk is from our Nubian does.  Our boys take care of them and I milk them.  When it comes to the signs my husband shops for the wood and cuts it when needed and also puts the sawtooth hanger(s) on the backs of the signs.  Our teenage son gets paid to sand the wood.  I paint and stencil and take care of bookkeeping.  Our daughters are my consultants with what stencils I should try next and also paint combo ideas (most of which get vetoed since they are very interesting combinations!)  Plus they're always thinking of new things we can include in the shop...many of their ideas are in the making!  We thank you so much for your patronage!  What a blessing your orders are to our family! 

If you've reached this blog post by chance, Welcome!  Stop by the shop to see what's new!